Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Why choose to learn?



                I’ve had some interesting experiences in the last week as I have observed students in various classrooms. In many instances I have seen students sit through a class lecture completely disengaged and appear to have gained nothing throughout the entire class period. On the contrary, I have also observed other activities where students seemed to be excited about their learning and even go beyond expectations to further their understanding of the concept being taught. Knowing that I will be trying to understand the aspirations of high school students in Mexico, it seems important to try and understand what makes students choose to learn.
Today I participated in an activity in my physics exploration class where a teacher gave us, a group of four college students, two remote control cars. We were given the objective to find the velocities at which they travel and then prepare to make predictions. One of which was to calculate the distance that one car would need to travel so then when it approached the other car traveling a perpendicular paths, they would collide. I have to say I was really motivated to complete this objective and I put in a lot of effort in the algorithms I would use to cause the collision. I also knew I would be able to accomplish this objective and that added to my motivation.
I believe there are two variables attached to the reason why students choose to learn. First, that the students need willingly commit to a short term goal and second, that students feel capable of accomplishing that goal; or in other words, a motivating objective and self-efficacy. 
               I find this conclusion interesting because I believe it applies to a much perspective than crashing cars in a physics lab. If learning lacks a clear and motivating objective, there is no purpose to learn and the students won’t try. At the same time, if one feels incapable of understanding a certain principle and gives up, they again cease to try.
In Mexico I will specifically be testing these two variables. What are the aspirations of students to learn? What do they feel is the level of their capability?  What is the teacher doing to encourage learning? These are all questions I have that I hope to be able to answer in the field. 

No comments:

Post a Comment