Monday, April 9, 2012

Final Worries



This Thursday we have the Marathon meeting scheduled and I think it would be a good idea to write out all my worries now so I know the right questions to ask.

Internet usage: One of my classes has all the reading material online.  I assume most of my free time will be while I am in Aldama and I worry about the web accessibility in that small town. If this is going to be a difficulty, I have the tedious option of trying to convert the course material from the webpage into a book.  That would of course need to be done before I leave to Mexico.

Recording interviews: I have no idea what the best devices are to record interviews. I know that my phone has an audio recording device, but you have to speak into it to pick up the sound. My vision of comfortable interviews entails a audio recorded set aside and ignored.  I don’t want to have to pass around a recording device during the interviews.

Communication with my family: This also has a lot to do with the internet usage. If internet is accessible, I will be able to Skype or email frequently. I will also be in the schools most days and that should provide me with a resource of communication to my family. On this topic I simply wonder what is best way to maintain communication with my family.

Water usage: I hear the water there isn’t good to drink. I can comprehend buying water to drink but what about brushing your teach, washing my hands to put in my contacts and cooking? I feel unsure about all the implications of how I will treat the local water.

Clothing and appearance: I would feel weird if I got there and dressed dramatically different than the locals. I want to live their culture and I feel that my appearance is the first then that will set me apart. What is recommended? I could buy a few cloths there? What is the standard of dress there?

Food and health: I keep hearing about student who go there and drink Pepto-Bismol on a daily basis. I have tasted then stuff only a few times in my life; is that the recommendation to stay healthy? What are some suggestions so that I stay as health as possible? Should I have a first-aid kit with any specific contents?

Service: If Aldama is an agricultural community, would it be acceptable or expected that I participate in a small portion to the faming? What about the chores of the house, cooking and doing the grocery shopping?  I’m very willing to do service, but I’d like to have a clear idea of what is expected of me.

Village activities: If Aldama is accustomed to BYU students, I’m sure they have a lot of experience with their participation in cultural activities.  I would like to be prepared and know about some activities in which I might be invited to participate; for example, Catholic ceremonies, traditional dances, holidays and sporting events.

Theft: My last worry is about how protective I need to be of my stuff. I recently inherited an I-phone. It would be convenient to bring it and use it to Skype my family and record the interviews. I don’t know how rare an I-pod is for the community of Aldama. I’d like to have a good idea of what precautions I should take to protect my stuff and my data collection.

1 comment:

  1. It´s amazing how many of these questions we seem to have found answers to in just a few days here. Let me know what you find out about your clothing a service questions, as they interest me too. Perhaps you could do a follow up blog answering these questions? Hope all in going well for you y los otros en los racheritos!

    ReplyDelete