Monday, June 25, 2012

The Analysis


The last few weeks I have been transcribing my interviews and highlighting the different subjects mentioned. This process was pretty tedious, but luckily I bought Dragon software which allowed my to transcribe my interviews by talking to the computer rather than simply re-typing everything. 

I sent an e-mail out to my professor and my inquiry research class. I explained my plans of analysis and asked for some advice. He sent me back an e-mail and I realize how much more work you need to do and the analysis I should have been doing but have not yet started. To be specific I should have been analyzing interviews as I did then to know what questions to ask so my data is not left incomplete. Well, that didn’t happen, so I have to quickly analyze the interviews I’ve done and probably returned to the schools to fill in the blanks. This is frustrating to me, but I’m glad I’m getting the help necessary to make my project the best it can be.  I’m realizing that this project will take a lot more work than I ever imagined.

The plan to analyze is to put everything on a pedigree chart that allow me to look at it as a whole picture and then focus in on small details. This is called Domain and Taxonomic analysis.  I can then create comparison charts and look for patterns and relationships- Componential and theme analysis. I have started making my taxonomy charts, and it’s going to be lot of data to analyze, but I am seeing how it’s going to help me make correct conclusions. 

The daunting part of all this is that all this analysis with for my interviews with teachers. I still have o repeat this process two more times with my students interviews and my parent interviews (which I haven't started yet.)  It's a lot of work, but I'm learning a ton, so it's worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment