Friday, February 17, 2012

Ideal Living location, Irapuato vs Aldama



In this blog I want to talk about the pros and cons about living in the city (Irapuato) verse living out in the country (Aldama.)

Aldama
PROs
Aldama is a great location because BYU already has good contacts there and from what I understand the town is accustomed to BYU students.  It’s a safe place with low criminal activity.  If I wanted to interview parents about their involvement in their children’s education, I’m confident the people there will be very willing to participate in my interviews because of their previous experiences with BYU students. I will also get a full experience of a rural community and to better understand the challenges these students face to achieve their education. If I choose to study about rural schools, it would be important to live the part; but currently is appears that that will not be one of my main variables of study.
CONs
There are no High Schools in Aldama and I would have to travel daily to do my observations.  Daily travel time will take away over an hour each day from my research.  Also I will be very limited to the bus schedule to go and return to Aldama.  According to Google maps the closest High School is in Irapuato, and it would not be very convenient to travel there daily.  Because students have to travel far to a high school, I can assume a lower amount of parent with kids in high school. 

Irapuato
PROs
Irapuato has over six high schools, and some are public and others are private and higher quality.  I will be able to easily visit multiple high schools and work with different teacher who have diverse teaching styles. My sample size can be much greater because of the greater density of people. There will be plenty of parents with children in high school that I can interview for my research.  I will be able to travel with a much more flexible schedule.

CONs
Locals in the city are probably are more hesitant to participate in my research because they are less familiar with BYU students.  I would not be able to experience the country life and will understand less the life of rural students.  The city environment will also be a bit more dangerous than the rural environment.

From the variable I have considered, I think that it would be most convenient to live in the city where there are more schools and more people to interview.  Also travel is much more convenient in the city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment