Monday, February 13, 2012

Worries about my question



Current question: How do the efforts in Irapuato Mexico made by government, teachers and parents to support their high school Latino students in promoting advanced education compare with previous researched data of what is being done in the Utah county high schools. 

I doubt this will be my final question, but after many modifications, I feel content with what is stated above. The following are my ideas of how I plan to answer my question. I plan to compare the government educational programs being implemented in Irapuato and compare and contrast them with what is found here in the Provo/Orem area.  This part of my project will be mostly research and maybe a few interviews of the faculty to record their opinion on these programs.  To investigate teacher support I will record observations of teaching styles, local programs, and resources within the schools to aid the Latino students.  Last the parental support will be a measure of parental involvement and the value they put on their child’s education. This will be done by interviewing parents of High school students in Mexico and the teachers to understand the Parent-teacher efforts to promote an advanced education.

A few worries about my question:
The comparison aspect: I feel like I am putting a lot on my plate to compare all my research with what is being done in the Utah Country.  That will add a lot of research in my preparations to go to Mexico, but I feel it is necessary to the application of my research.  I hope that upon finishing my research it can be presented to teachers as a resource in for transferring Hispanic students.   If a Hispanic family was to move to Provo Utah and enroll their son or daughter into a public school, they would already have an expectation of the support their child should receive; but most likely it will be different from  what will actually occur. If teachers first understood what the Hispanic parents are accustomed to, they can better explain the differences between the two systems so that parents can understand how it works and more fully participate in their child’s education. 

Defining “promoting”: My main variable is this idea of promoting an advanced education; which is a bit vague. What I mean by that is what efforts are made to instill a desire and to facilitate the path to a college degree.  Are students able to envision themselves in a future career that requires a degree? Do teachers make an extra effort to make learning engaging and interactive?  What are the expectations of parents for their child’s future career?  These are a few of the questions I hope to answer, but I feel the idea is still open ended. As I continue to refine my research I hope my methods become more defined and precise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment