Monday, February 6, 2012

What is my goal for my research?


I have been worried a lot about how and what I will be studying in Mexico. I have the general idea, but my methods are unclear and I feel I have not yet fully concreted the variables I want to study.  For this blog I want to give a summary of what I know and then think about what I want to expect as an outcome of my research.

What I know:
From many studies it’s undeniable that the Latino students on average are below the national norm for reading, writing, math and science.  I’m a strong advocate that it’s not due to some learning handicap built into their genetics, but in their expectations they have for themselves and the expectations others have for them.  Programs have been designed to aid ESL students in the public schools, including tutoring help, and service opportunities for bilingual students to help out their peers. 

Many of these programs do a wonderful job motivating the Latino students and helping them gain a greater vision of their potential.  One program specifically is called Latinos in Action, which started in 2001 my Jose Enriquez, the vice-principle at Mountain View High school in Orem Utah. The national average for Hispanic high school graduates is 64%acording to the NAEP, but all Latino students that go through Latinos in Action, graduate, and 85% go on to college. Jose Enriquez found a way to fuel an aspiration for academic success. 
The program allows for each High school student to be assigned to an elementary classroom or to a student to aid in all their studies. These elementary students don’t necessarily have to be ESL students, but they are the first ones helped. The High school students spend 2.5 hours a week tutoring and when they are in class, the material is focused on motivating the students to achieve a higher education.  Also, most of the students in Latinos in Action class participate in a Latin dance team that performs a various events.

My goal
My end goal is to improve programs like that of Latinos in Action, and diversify the positive effects it has on the Latino students.  For instance, Latinos in Action attracts ESL graduates, or English speaking Latinos to help Elementary students, but not all Latino students participate. For example those that don’t speak English are not eligible to tutor or be in the program.   I worry that it may be those students that are struggling the most and need the most help.

I propose that adjustments or similar programs can be designed that will also promote a greater variety of service activities in all fields, such as doing service activities as in the science labs at universities, or in businesses.  The students will gain the satisfaction of service and witness first hand career opportunities in all fields. This could attract Latino students and also take away the requirement for only bilingual students.  This is all just an idea, but it may be worth more thought. 


No comments:

Post a Comment