Thursday, January 26, 2012

Field Research starts today in Provo High!



Matar dos pajeros con un tiro! I start out by saying that because either by destiny, luck or divine intervention, many variables are coming together to aid me in my research.  My teaching and Exploration physics class conveniently requires that I observe local high schools science classes for a few hours a week. Today was my first time and it helped me better understand physics teaching but it also proved extremely beneficial for my research project.
Today I visited Marcus Mayntz’s physics class at Provo High.  He has taught physics 14 years, seven in Florida, and seven in Provo. He has had experience with a wide variety of foreign students and has a sound understanding of the different cultural habits they bring to the classroom. His students were working on a lab and I was allotted a good portion of time to ask him a few questions.
I first asked him what he had experienced with students from foreign cultures. He told me more often than not, foreign students feel the American students are very disrespectful to their teachers.  One example he related was about a student from Nigeria. The student explained that there the teachers hold more of a monarchy over the classroom. What He says goes. The students even stand as the teachers enters the classroom and only sit back down when signaled. The Nigerian student even felt obliged to apologize to Mr. Mayntz for the behavior of his classmates, though to Mr Mayntz their behavior was nothing out of the ordinary.
Our conversation eventually arrived on the Hispanic culture and how if differentiates the Latinos learning styles from the natives. He told me that as Americans we focus on benchmarks and due dates, and when assignments are turned in late they are penalized.  Whereas the Latin ideology, as he said it, is, “It will get done when it gets done.” One can clearly see that unless they abandon that philosophy, their grades will be penalized. I wonder how fair it is to assume they can adapt immediately.
Another unique behavior is that Latin culture is very community based, they enjoy working together. This can cause problems because they don’t feel it’s wrong to asking a friend for help during an exam. Mr. Maytnz told me how he’s had to explain a few times that an exam it meant to test a student’s individual knowledge, not that of the entire class.
Marcus Mayntz also mentioned a few advantages to the Latin culture. He said because they are community focused, they feel no shame in asking for help; whereas many American students take pride in struggling through a problem until they figure it out on their own. He also said that the Latinos seem to get more excited about labs and experiments then the American kids. I assume in their local schools they are not so accustom to hands on activities.
When I asked him if Hispanic students struggled more than the average student, he replied, “It’s hit and miss. Some come from Mexico City or Guadalajara and were the education is really good, but others come from rural communities where the only reason they went to school was so their family would receive a grant for their school attendance.” He said that those students from the rural communities were always very far behind, sometimes up to eight years. That was very significant to me because that is what I will be studying, rural education. I asked him if Provo High provided any special help for those kinds of students. He said they started a program called Latinos in Action: a student run service by bilingual Latin students to tutor ESL and work as translators for the teacher-parent conferences. The meaningful service seemed to promote a greater motivation and self-worth among the students. I plan to research much more about the success of this program.
To sum it up, I know as I visit local schools I will learn a lot of important information about Hispanic culture and their education, as demonstrated.  This will help me narrow down my focus for my research in Mexico so I can take greater advantage of my time there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment