Monday, January 23, 2012

RTOP Scoring


One of the main parts of my research in Mexico will be comparison. How does the quality of science education in Guatajuato Mexico compare with what is found here in Provo? I recently found a new way I would be able to compare the two with quantitative data. It is called the RTOP (Reformed Teaching Observation Protocol.)
I was introduced to this protocol in my Exploration of Physics Teaching class. It is an evaluation that determines how well physics teachers do in making their lessons student focused. Research has showed that the traditional lecture method is very ineffective when teaching physics.  If a teacher scores high on the RTOP, above 50, their class was more student driven. The students explored the principle, predicted and tested science. The learning process was involving and experimental. If a teacher scores low, the class was very teacher focused with low levels of student participation.
The RTOP consist of five topics, each with five questions. Each question is worth zero to four points; providing a total score out of a hundred. Here are the five topics:
(1) Respect student preconceptions and knowledge, - Do teacher recognize what they already know?
(2) Foster learning communities, - Are the student really learning?
(3) Explore before formal presentation, - Are the student experimenting with the physics principle?
(4) Seek and recognize alternative approaches, - Are the student learning with multiple perspective?
(5) Include student ideas in classroom direction. - Is the teacher focused on helping the class understand?

This has a lot to do with the engaging factor I talked about in my last post. What’s so exciting about the RTOP is now I have a way to measure it. In my physics teaching class, we have been viewing recording of physics classes and scoring the teaching using the RTOP rubric. I have gained a greater respect for teachers what don’t just try and show you what they know. It really is to the benefit of the student when teacher stop talking and stimulate student lead learning. The retention and feeling about learning is greatly enhanced.
Starting next week I will be using the RTOP in my observation at local high school here in Provo. I will then be able to compare that data with the RTOP scoring I do in Mexico.  This will be so important because I will have quantitative data and a legit comparison method to measure how engaged the students are in their science classrooms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment