Thursday, January 12, 2012

My Purpose To Go


 This summer I’m going to Mexico! Why? So I know what it would feel like to be a Mexican high school transfer student. I don’t think we can pretend to understand all the cultural differences a Latin transfer student experiences their first time stepping into an American classroom.  Think about it, the typical teenager experiences all kinds of drama when they transfer schools. They have no friends, new teachers, established clicks and you can’t forget the physical feeling of being lost your first day in what seems like a labyrinth of classrooms.  Now, how about an out of country Latin student? The newness is exponentially greater. They experience all of the same but also a new culture with new standards of etiquette and teachers that not only teach in a different language but with unfamiliar teaching styles.  Even their peers value education differently then what they’re accustomed to.  The list could continue, but my point is, I don’t think we really understand what Latin transfer student deal with.  And more importantly, our high school teachers, their resources from help and support, probably don’t fully understand it either. And that’s sad.
                In only a few years, I plan to be directing one of those high school classrooms.  With an increasing population of Latin immigrants, I fully expect more than a few to call me Mr. Welling. May I say publically, I hope they feel that that I am specifically excited to have them in my classroom. I hope that after taking my class they can say, “He understood where I came from and helped me feel welcome here.”   
I’m going to Mexico so they feel understood.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, in so few words you were able to tell me an issue that you feel emotionally affected by, how it relates to your experience in Mexico, and how it is going to make you a better profession in the future. I hope you know, that's an incredible skill.

    You say you hope to learn about the cultural differences in the school system and also in the students. What do you hope to learn from the students you will be observing or working with? From the teachers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete