Friday, January 13, 2012

So what am I expecting?

         I'm really excited to go to Mexico and discover these "differences" in their educational system and culture, but what am I expecting to find? 
         If we put ourselves in the shoes of the student, we can try and think of many the factors that play into our success in learning. For example, student-teacher relationships; I know that in Latin culture students must show more respect by addressing educators with a more formal verb tense. To say “you,” rather than using the casual “tu,” a student would use the formal version "usted" to show more respect. I wonder if their student-teacher relationships are more formal than what is found here in America.
         To list off a few other observations I could hone in on: Time granted to complete homework assignments, are they given more or less time than what is custom here. Classroom etiquette, can they go to the bathroom during class? What disciplinary actions are used? From my LDS mission in Chile, I found Latin culture can sometimes view time in a much more flexible manner. Do classes always start on time? Do they discipline tardiness with the same severity? Here in America we tend to use a lot of multiple choice tests, what do the native Mexicans feel is their typical testing style? Is it a custom to raise your hand and wait to be called on, or is open questioning accepted? I will stop there, but I have a feeling that before I make It to Mexico I will write out a much longer list of possible observations. If anyone has others that they feel could be unique in both countries, please add in some of your ideas in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. I always grew up having to address adults as "sir" and "ma'am." If I didn't, I was considered una malcriada. I know that in Louisiana they have a respect law requiring students to use these terms for their teachers. I wonder what difference it makes. I remember coming out to Utah and people making fun of me for calling their parents "ma'am" and "sir." They found it amusing, and said that in Utah when people use these terms of respect, they often assume the person is being sarcastic. I wonder if student-teacher relationships is different here compared to places where students must use respectful titles for their superiors.

    ReplyDelete